Monday, February 21, 2011
A sprain is a stretch or tear of one or more ligaments surrounding a joint. Forces going in opposite directions cause the ligament to overstretch or tear.
- Loss of the ability to move or use the joint
- A feeling of "pop" or tear
- Rapid Swelling
- Motion increases the joint pain
This is my bruising and swelling left ankle. How did this happened? Actually last Sunday, i'd played Futsal with my sister. To be truth is i've never played football, and this is my first time. And on top of that, with no training what so ever we enter the Tournament.
Hmm, although we did not win, but i tried so hard as a striker to try to score. Well, the prize that i've got for playing futsal is i've got sprain on my left ankle. What a bad luck. To made the matter worse is that, i've though nothing is wrong with my ankle so i didn't apply ice ( cold therapy) on my ankle; and just leave it like that.
By noon my ankle start to swell and pain. By evening i can't walk. So, what more to do? I went to clinic.
The medication that i've got are:
a) Tablet Prednisolone 5mg
- To reduce the swelling ( Anti-inflammatory drug)
b) Tablet Lesflam 50mg
- To reduce the pain ( Pain-killer drug)
c) Voren Plus Gel ( For external use)
- An anti-inflammatory and analgesic agent
- After applying the gel, then u need to bandage ur feet
Luckily i still remember how to do figure-of-eight bandage..
So from what i've learn:
- The goal of the initial stage of treating sport injury is to reduce the swelling
Follow the regime of (R.I.C.E.)for the first 24-48 hours
- Sprain ankle may be immobilized
- Decrease regular activities of daily living and exercise as needed.
- Crutches may help if u can't put weight on an ankle.
- Apply ice pack to the injured area for 20 minutes at a time, four to eight times
- Cause vasoconstriction, and reduce pain
- Remember! Do not apply the ice pack for longer than 20 minutes to avoid cold
injury and frostbite.
- Use compression bandages
- Reduce edema formation and pain
- Keep the injured extremity elevated on a pillow above heart level
- Promote venous return to decrease edema( reduce swelling) and pain
Remember! to drink milk for calcium to make ur bone stronger, and eat food that contain protein to improve wound healing.